Things That Can Be Carried On A Bike (#231)...and a quick recipe

A plastic crate containing three loaves of bread made with four ingredients: flour, water, salt, and yeast.


Simple Rustic Loaf
Makes 1 loaf
1 ¼ cups water
3 teaspoons yeast
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached bread flour, divided
2 teaspoons kosher salt


Combine the water, yeast and whole wheat flour; stir to form a batter. Allow to ferment for 1 hour. Add the bread flour along with the salt and knead the dough for 10-12 minutes. Place the dough in a bowl at room temperature, cover it with plastic wrap, and allow it to ferment for 1 – 1 ½ hours. Remove the dough from the bowl and gently shape it into a loafl. Place it in a lightly oiled loaf pan and cover with a towel. Allow it to rise for 1 hour. Position the oven rack to the center of the oven and place a shallow pan of water directly on the oven floor. Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the bread for about 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven and it's pan and place it on a wire rack or towel to cool before slicing. 


Comments

Amrita said…
Thank you for the recipe. I will try it for sure.

Your photos are fantastic. I like your simple lifestyle
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the bread recipe- I've converted it to metric now. I've been looking for something simple to feed the boys with.
Joe said…
This is about as basic a recipe as you can get, and that's why I like it...the original, just 4 ingredients. Let me know how it turns out.

WB: I'll be interested to here if it turns out ok with metric conversions. It's silly how we Americans are the only ones that do not use metric.

Amrita: Thanks as usual for your kind comments...but sometimes I wonder if my life is not as simple as the one I portray behind this keyboard. It's a struggle and also a goal to achieve.